YOU'RE PROBABLY WONDERING
WHO… is this program for?
- Girls from around the world, aged 13-19 years old, who are enthusiastic about STEM
- Female STEM Professionals and Researchers across all sectors of the global economy and all STEM disciplines
WHAT… will I do in this program?
- One-to-one mentoring between STEM enthusiastic girls and professional women, two virtual meetings per month
- Coursework to emphasize college readiness, leadership, communication, and critical thinking: essential information to be completed at your pace
- Network of awesome female STEM enthusiasts and professionals who are mutually supportive and provide layered peer mentoring for each other through social interaction, message boards, online events like AMA’s, and activities like an optional Book Club. This is a safe, fun place to be a smart girl!
WHEN… can I fit this into my schedule?
- One-to-one mentoring meetings (via video chat or text chat on the platform) twice per month
- Coursework which is *asynchronous*, which means you complete a small percentage of the modules according to your interest, at your own pace
- A Network which you can engage with as often as you want—it’s a great way to make friends and gather resources!
WHERE… does the program happen?
- All one-to-one mentoring meetings (via video chat or text chat), coursework which is *asynchronous*, and social learning networking takes place on our fully integrated, safety-protocol-enabled, moderated platform designed by Mentor Resources!
WHY… should I participate?
- “Mentoring provides me with a space in which I can take a step back and evaluate the academic, professional, and personal choices that have brought me to where I currently am." –Mentor
- “Mentoring gives me the opportunity to give back and move my fellow women forward. It is rewarding to see others find success, and I'm proud to play a supporting role in it.” –Mentor
- “She's the best mentor I could've asked for and she's helping me so much in figuring out what to do with my life and how to make the most of my undergraduate experience. So thank you SO much for giving me the opportunity to meet such a dynamic, wonderful person!” –Mentee
- “I think mentoring is a great experience due to the sharing of knowledge and experiences between two people. Whether you are the mentor or the mentee, you are guaranteed to learn something new both professionally and personally." -Mentor
HOW… can you offer this program at no cost to all participants?
- This program is free to you because the Global STEM Alliance of the New York Academy of Sciences believes in the potential of the expanded involvement of girls and women in STEM. We have a mission which requires that we apply scientific solutions to Global Problems and increase the participation of underrepresented learners and practitioners in STEM, and we believe that layered mentoring from peers and relatable role models is a research-supported intervention that will keep these important future scientists, mathematicians, technologists, engineers, moguls, and leaders progressing in the STEM pipeline around the world. We believe that you can’t be what you can’t see: so we want to show you a wide variety of the girls and women who are already leaders across the diverse spectrum of STEM specialties!
You know you’re interested in following some kind of STEM (science, tech, engineering, math) career. But now you don’t know what your next steps are…and that’s okay! This is why having a STEM mentor can be a great thing to do! A mentor can help guide you in figuring out what comes next to pursue your dream career - anything from finding the right college program for you to scoping out possible internships. Give yourself an edge in the world of STEM and let us help you find a great mentor!
Why do I want to be a 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures mentee?
As a mentee, you will have access to not only your own, hand-picked STEM mentor, who is a successful woman currently working in a STEM field, but an entire network of mentors and mentees just like you all over the world, all working toward different STEM disciplines. You could make friends and create new networks from wherever you are! And since the program is completely online, you can make your own schedule for total control over your experience.
Is there anything else offered besides having a mentor?
We will offer programming to help support what you will be learning with your mentor. You will develop skills in leadership, communication, and critical thinking while also learning the different steps it takes to apply to college and university. Best of all, nothing is graded or due on specific days - you will be able to choose the activities you want to complete. And for an extra bonus, by participating in the program you will also become a Young Member of The New York Academy of Sciences, which includes free access to selected Academy content and a digital Membership Certificate that you can post to your social media profile!
CAN I MEET OTHER MENTEES IN THE PROGRAM?
You certainly can - and you will! Our program reaches hundreds of mentees interested in STEM areas, just like you and our virtual platform makes it easy to connect. You can join the STEM Book Club, participate in discussions, or even log on for a live event where you can chat with participants miles and miles away.
What if I don’t know exactly what I want to do in STEM?
That’s fine! You don’t have to know your exact career path right now to be eligible. In fact, you can use the network, your mentor, and our programming to help you figure out what your next steps might be. We don’t ask you “what do you want to be when you grow up?” We ask you “how do you want to get there - and how can we help you?”
WHAT DO I TELL MY PARENTS/GUARDIANS ABOUT THE PROGRAM?
That the 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures program is committed to helping young women foster their skills, connect with like-minded women, and all while doing so in a safe, friendly online environment. You can feel free to download this handy Parent/Guardian FAQ sheet which has additional information, and they can always email the program administrators with any questions!
How long is the program?
The program cycle starts in November of 2016 and ending in September of 2017. You have to touch base with your mentor at least twice a month and be sure to complete the programming materials by the deadline. Remember, everything is virtual so you can maximize your time with the program however you want.
What do I do now?
In order to be a mentee in the 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures program, you have to apply. The application period for the 2016-2017 year is currently closed but if you’d like to be informed when the application for the 2017-2018 year opens, please fill out the form below.
In year 1 of the program, we welcomed a number of fantastic mentors and mentees from all walks of life with a variety of individual qualities. What tied us together was our love of STEM and desire to see more young women have mentorship opportunities, no matter where they are. Below, hear some of our members from the 2015-2016 program year talk about what this program means to them.
The 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures program is part of the Global STEM Alliance.
ABOUT THE GLOBAL STEM ALLIANCE
The Global STEM Alliance is an international initiative of the New York Academy of Sciences with over 100 partners in more than 50 countries and regions, including government agencies, corporations, educational institutions, and nongovernmental organizations. The mission of the GSA is to increase the number and diversity of students in the STEM pipeline, with a goal of reaching a total of 1 million students in 100 countries by 2020. By providing hands-on research projects, mentoring opportunities with leading STEM experts, and a comprehensive, tech-based learning platform, the GSA arms students with the skills they need for successful careers. The programs of the GSA are geared towards under-served groups, with the special goal of reducing the skills gap between schools and the workforce. Please visit us online at www.globalstemalliance.org.
ABOUT THE NEW YORK ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been committed to advancing science, technology, and society worldwide. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries around the world, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity. The Academy's core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, and increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large. Please visit us online at www.nyas.org.
Any more questions for us? Email us: email@example.com.