YOU'RE PROBABLY WONDERING
WHO… is this program for?
- Girls from around the world, aged 13-19 years old, who are enthusiastic about STEM
- Female STEM Professionals and Researchers across all sectors of the global economy and all STEM disciplines
WHAT… will I do in this program?
- One-to-one mentoring between STEM enthusiastic girls and professional women, two virtual meetings per month
- Coursework to emphasize college readiness, leadership, communication, and critical thinking: essential information to be completed at your pace
- Network of awesome female STEM enthusiasts and professionals who are mutually supportive and provide layered peer mentoring for each other through social interaction, message boards, online events like AMA’s, and activities like an optional Book Club. This is a safe, fun place to be a smart girl!
WHEN… can I fit this into my schedule?
- One-to-one mentoring meetings (via video chat or text chat on the platform) twice per month
- Coursework which is *asynchronous*, which means you complete a small percentage of the modules according to your interest, at your own pace
- A Network which you can engage with as often as you want—it’s a great way to make friends and gather resources!
WHERE… does the program happen?
- All one-to-one mentoring meetings (via video chat or text chat), coursework which is *asynchronous*, and social learning networking takes place on our fully integrated, safety-protocol-enabled, moderated platform designed by Mentor Resources!
WHY… should I participate?
- “Mentoring provides me with a space in which I can take a step back and evaluate the academic, professional, and personal choices that have brought me to where I currently am." –Mentor
- “Mentoring gives me the opportunity to give back and move my fellow women forward. It is rewarding to see others find success, and I'm proud to play a supporting role in it.” –Mentor
- “She's the best mentor I could've asked for and she's helping me so much in figuring out what to do with my life and how to make the most of my undergraduate experience. So thank you SO much for giving me the opportunity to meet such a dynamic, wonderful person!” –Mentee
- “I think mentoring is a great experience due to the sharing of knowledge and experiences between two people. Whether you are the mentor or the mentee, you are guaranteed to learn something new both professionally and personally." -Mentor
HOW… can you offer this program at no cost to all participants?
- This program is free to you because the Global STEM Alliance of the New York Academy of Sciences believes in the potential of the expanded involvement of girls and women in STEM. We have a mission which requires that we apply scientific solutions to Global Problems and increase the participation of underrepresented learners and practitioners in STEM, and we believe that layered mentoring from peers and relatable role models is a research-supported intervention that will keep these important future scientists, mathematicians, technologists, engineers, moguls, and leaders progressing in the STEM pipeline around the world. We believe that you can’t be what you can’t see: so we want to show you a wide variety of the girls and women who are already leaders across the diverse spectrum of STEM specialties!